Grape Poisoning In Dogs – Here Is All You Need To Know

If your dog drank grape juice, you are likely wondering what the effects of it are.

Grape juice contains a certain type of sugar that is toxic to dogs, and it can lead to poisoning when consumed in large quantities.

However, while the effects of drinking grape juice may be serious for some pets, they will vary depending on how much was ingested and the size of the animal’s body.

If you suspect that your pet has eaten or drank too much grape juice, read this blog post to learn more about symptoms and treatments!

Can Dogs Drink Grape Juice?

Dogs can drink grape juice, but they should not because it is toxic to them.

The sugar in grape juice can lead to poisoning when consumed in large quantities.

The FAQ at VCA Animal Hospitals says that just a few ounces of grape drink could be toxic for dogs, but the severity depends on both how much was ingested and how big the dog is.

The DoggyWag website states “Grape products are not safe for pets” as well as “Some experts estimate that ingesting more than one-half ounce of grapes or raisins per kilogram body weight may cause acute renal (kidney) failure.” It also mentions that some breeds are especially sensitive to this type of food.

In order to ensure your pet’s safety, you should avoid giving them any types of drinks containing grapes.

What Happens If A Dog Drinks Grape Juice?

dog sick after drinking grape juice

If a dog drinks grape juice, it could get sick. Some breeds are more sensitive than others and can experience kidney failure if too much is ingested.

Please avoid giving any type of fruit-based beverage to your pet because it may be toxic or cause them harm. If you suspect that your pet has consumed something harmful, please contact their veterinarian right away!

Dogs should not drink anything with grapes in them because it’s poisonous for pets and will lead to poisoning when consumed in large quantities.

The first signs of poisoning are vomiting, lethargy, diarrhea, and an increased heart rate.

If you think your pet has gotten into grape juice or swallowed grapes contact their veterinarian right away for treatment options!

How Much Grape Juice Is Toxic To Dogs?

Some dogs can have more severe reactions to grape consumption than others which means that a little bit may not be enough to kill them while other dogs could get sick with just one sip.

Grape juice is toxic when it’s consumed in large quantities but the severity depends on how much was ingested as well as what type of dog they’re (and size) because some breeds are more sensitive to it.

It doesn’t matter if it’s fresh or bottled- any kind will do serious damage over time. You should never let your dog drink grape juice.

What Is Grape Poisoning In Dogs?

grapes in a bowl

Grape poisoning in dogs is a relatively rare but potentially life-threatening condition that can occur when your dog ingests grapes, raisins, or currants.

The symptoms of grape poisoning are variable and depend on the size of the ingestion (though most ingestions will cause some degree of toxicity), but generally include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, anorexia, and abdominal pain.

In more severe cases where the toxin has caused significant damage to organs such as the liver or kidneys, animals may present with fever or jaundice.

The toxic component within grapes that causes this reaction is called alpha-Amylase. This protein breaks down starch into simple sugars which can be used by cells for energy production – however, it also breaks down other compounds such as proteins and lipids.

The toxicity of the grape, raisin or current depends on the type (and concentration) of alpha-Amylase it contains – with some varieties being much less toxic than others.

The size and age of your dog are also important to take into account when considering how many grapes are unsafe for them to consume; young puppies will be more susceptible due to their small stomach capacity.

If you believe that your pet has ingested grapes, juice, or any other fruit containing high levels of this enzyme then please contact a veterinarian immediately so they can determine whether medical intervention is necessary in order to prevent further health complications from occurring.

In serious cases where treatment may not have occurred quickly enough, kidney failure is a common complication.

Symptoms Of Grape Poisoning

Symptoms of grape poisoning in dogs include vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, and lethargy. 

If your dog has eaten grapes or raisins and is showing these symptoms, it’s important to take him or her to the vet right away.

How To Treat Grape Poisoning

If your dog drank grape juice and shows symptoms of grape poisoning, you will need to bring them in for a checkup.

The vet can diagnose the toxicity by examining their urine or stomach contents and make sure that they have not consumed anything else dangerous at the same time.

In cases where there is no other medical concern but high levels of this enzyme were found, treatment consists of inducing vomiting and administering activated charcoal which helps absorb toxins in the gastrointestinal tract.

In conclusion, if my dog drank grape juice do I need to take him/her to the veterinarian? Yes! Grape consumption is toxic enough on its own without adding extra dangers like raisins or alcohol into it so always seek veterinary help when needed with these types of situations.

How To Prevent Grape Poisoning

1. Keep grapes out of reach of your dog. 

2. Make sure to watch your dog closely while they are eating, and if you notice any symptoms such as drooling or vomiting, take them to the vet immediately. 

3. If you have a grape-loving pup that is going on vacation with you, make sure their food is not left unattended for long periods of time.


Grape poisoning in dogs can be fatal.

If your dog drank grape juice, it is important to call the vet immediately and watch to see if there are any adverse effects.

The vet will need to know what kind of grapes were ingested before being able to treat the dog.

If your dog has consumed a large number of grapes or grape leaves, contact emergency services immediately as these symptoms may not show up for hours after ingestion and can lead to death in severe cases.


  1. “Grape Poisoning in Dogs.” PetMD. Web. 12 Mar 2016.
  2. Holland, Heather C., and Vincenza Ficca. “Ingestion of Grapefruit Seed Extract by a Dog: A Case Report and Review.” Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care 18 (2008): 77-81. Academic Search Premier. Web. 13 Mar 2016
  3. Pixlee, Evie. Toxic plants your dog should never eat!” Thegoodstuffblog. Nd web 14 March 1998]
  4. Reeves, Kevin L., et al… How much grape juice is toxic to dogs? | Vetstreet – the ultimate pet health resource for your furry family member!. [Nd] Online

Related Posts

Leave a Comment