What To Do If My Dog Drank Cooking Oil?

If your dog has accidentally consumed cooking oil, don’t panic.

Cooking oil is not harmful to dogs in small quantities. The ingredients that make up the oil are usually not fatal to dogs, but they can cause gastrointestinal upset and abdominal pain if ingested in large quantities.

You should still take steps quickly to avoid long-term damage and complications that may arise from the ingestion of this substance.

This article will provide you with answers to all your questions about what happens when a dog drinks cooking oil, how to recognize the symptoms, and what you can do if your pet does drink this substance on accident.

It also includes some helpful tips for preventing future accidents as well!

Is Cooking Oil Harmful For Dogs?

The answer to this question is, sometimes.

Cooking oil can be harmful to a dog if they accidentally consume too much or ingest it over an extended period of time.

The keyword in that sentence was “accidentally.” If your pet consumed a small amount one time and doesn’t show any adverse effects from the ingestion (vomiting, diarrhea), don’t worry about it! They will likely digest cooking oil without incident just as they do other types of food ingredients.

In fact, dogs require fat which may have helped them survive before our modern era with its surplus of processed foods and relative lack of animal fats. But how should you know what quantity could cause harm?

If your pet has consumed a significant quantity of cooking oil on accident, you should contact your vet as soon as possible.

What Happens If A Dog Drinks Cooking Oil?

cooking oils in jars

If the ingestion is massive and over an extended period of time, it can lead to stomach upset (vomiting), diarrhea, or both which could require hospitalization for IV fluids and other treatments.

The damage that occurs, in this case, looks much like pancreatitis with pain on palpation (tapping) around the abdomen because there’s inflammation occurring within tissues.

Your dog may show signs of dehydration too such as decreased appetite, dry mouth, lethargy/depression/low energy level due to low blood pressure from loss of water content.

What Should I Do If My Dog Drank Cooking Oil Accidentally?

Unless it was a really large amount of oil, your dog is probably still just fine. They may have some upset stomachs for the next day or two but that will be about all the experience from this unfortunate event! … I would keep an eye on them and if you notice any diarrhea then take him to see a vet right away so he can get treatment before things become worse.

If your dog has ingested a lot of oil, it’s important to first check with a veterinarian before giving anything orally – as this may induce vomiting and increase the risk of aspiration pneumonia or stomach ulcers from swallowed materials; additionally, inducing vomit can lead to corrosive acids in the esophagus which could cause additional damage!

Your vet may want to administer activated charcoal if they suspect that large amounts have been consumed but otherwise most dogs should recover on their own.

If you know your dog has ingested a moderate quantity of cooking oil, (less than about a cup) and did so over the course of less than an hour or two then it is unlikely that there will be any serious health consequences.

For smaller quantities, first, give your pet some milk since this helps counteract the effect of oily substances in the stomach by coating them and preventing them from being absorbed into the bloodstream.

Topical treatments like mineral oil can also help with symptoms such as vomiting/diarrhea which are common when a dog ingests cooking oil.

If you know they drank some of it, but not enough to be harmful (i.e., just a taste) try giving them one tablespoon of Pepto-Bismol for dogs mixed with water every 20 minutes until they stop vomiting.

This should help induce vomiting if there’s still any residual oil leftover from their drink.

Next time: keep all unhealthy substances out of reach!

Are There Medications?

Yes – according to the ASPCA website: “Activated charcoal absorbs many types of poisons that would otherwise be absorbed into the bloodstream.” 

This means it’s often given along with other treatments (such as inducing vomition) when ingesting large amounts of poisonous substances like cooking oil.

There is also medication available at veterinary hospitals which may help reduce the level of toxins.

However, the ASPCA warns that these medications are not always effective and may have side effects so they should be used only in an emergency when other treatment methods have failed or there is little time to get veterinary help.

What Oils Can Dogs Eat Safely?

The following is a list of safe alternatives: olive oil, safflower oil, or sunflower seed oil.

Additionally, coconut-based products such as MCT Oil (medium-chain triglycerides), lard, or butter are also safe for consumption by pets with no known side effects reported yet – although moderation is important because excessive use of fat can lead to obesity and other health problems for your pet.

What Oils Should I Never Feed My Dog?

Never give your pet any kind of cooking or vegetable oils such as corn, soybean, peanut, or cottonseed! These will cause a lot more serious symptoms than just vomiting if ingested by mistake in high quantities.

Also keep in mind that certain oils are better than others when it comes to cooking (such as olive vs. coconut), so be sure not to use these if they’re accessible on higher surfaces such as stovetops!

The ASPCA notes that vegetable oils are typically not toxic to dogs but animal fats may prove to be dangerous; additionally, fish oils like cod liver should never be given as these could cause pancreatitis in animals.

How Can I Prevent My Dog From Drinking Cooking Oil?

It’s a good idea to keep your kitchen clear of potentially dangerous items like cooking oils, cleaning supplies, and trash cans where food scraps could fall out while you’re preparing dinner.

1. Keep cooking oil in a container that is too high for your dog to reach. 

2. Put the lid on tightly when you’re not using it. 

3. Store it out of reach in a cabinet or pantry.

If it seems your pet has had any access at all, then take him or her to the veterinarian immediately!


Although generally safe for dogs (despite some people’s fears) cooking oil can be harmful if ingested.

Keep it out of reach from your pet, and call the vet immediately if you suspect they have consumed any!

All things considered, preventing your pup from eating cooking oil is best done by keeping them away from sources of temptation like open pots and raw ingredients – but always remember to stay vigilant!

If your pup does happen to drink some cooking oil, try letting him vomit naturally (without inducing vomiting) so he doesn’t ingest more of the dangerous substance; follow with lots of freshwaters as soon as possible.

If you suspect an overdose, call poison control immediately for instructions or take your pup to the vet right away.

Related Posts

Leave a Comment