It’s not uncommon for dogs to eat things they shouldn’t. Ingesting raw fish is a common occurrence, and it can be dangerous.
If your dog eats raw salmon, you might notice stomach problems like diarrhea or vomiting, as well as a fever that could indicate an infection from the bacteria in the raw fish. You’ll want to talk to your veterinarian about medical advice and make an appointment if necessary.
- Will Raw Salmon Hurt A Dog?
- Symptoms Of Ingesting Raw Rish
- What To Do If Your Dog Eats Raw Salmon?
- How Much Of The Salmon Should My Dog Eat Before I Worry?
- What Is Salmon Poisoning In Dogs?
- Can A Dog Get Salmon Poisoning Twice?
- Preventing Salmon Poisoning In Dogs
- When To See A Veterinarian
- Treatment Of Salmon Poisoning In Dogs
- How To Prevent Your Dog From Eating It In The First Place
- What If I Feed My Dog Salmon?
Will Raw Salmon Hurt A Dog?
Yes. Raw fish can contain bacteria that can make your dog very sick.
If you notice vomiting after your dog has eaten raw fish, or if they have diarrhea dominated by a strong smell of fish, it’s likely that the salmon they ate contains harmful bacteria called Pseudomonas.
This type of bacteria is common in ponds where salmon are raised and it is resistant to salt and drying, which means that’s why you shouldn’t feed your dog dry kibble.
These bacteria can also cause skin rashes on dogs and humans if they’re exposed to the urine or feces of an infected animal.
The best way to protect yourself from Pseudomonas infection is by washing your hands after handling raw fish, and if your dog gets sick from eating raw salmon, you should bathe them to clean any bacteria from their body.
Since Pseudomonas is resistant to salt, it can survive in saltwater even after fish have been cleaned with it.
If your dog has eaten a large quantity of raw salmon or an infected piece of salmon, you’ll want to bring them in to see your veterinarian right away.
Symptoms Of Ingesting Raw Rish
Symptoms of ingesting raw fish include stomach problems and a fever.
Depending on the amount of raw salmon ingested, your dog may develop an infection.
Vomiting and diarrhea can be signs of an upset stomach from ingesting the fish, but it could also mean that they have trouble digesting the oil in the salmon.
What To Do If Your Dog Eats Raw Salmon?
If your dog ate raw salmon, depending on how much they ate, you may notice symptoms of an upset stomach after a couple of hours.
If you think your dog ate some salmon, give them activated charcoal to absorb the toxins in their stomach. This will help them feel better faster.
Salmonella and E-coli are common bacteria found in raw fish that can cause illness if ingested.
If the raw fish is a salmon, then it could also contain parasites and lead to an infection. Call your vet immediately!
How Much Of The Salmon Should My Dog Eat Before I Worry?
The amount of salmon ingested will determine how sick your dog gets.
You’ll want to watch for any nerve signs like shaking, drooling or whining, drooling or wobbling.
Those are signs of extreme sickness in your dog! You’ll also want to look for other symptoms like fever, lethargy, or lack of appetite.
If your dog eats a single piece of the fish, it’s going to be fine. It can cause some stomach discomfort like vomiting or diarrhea, but there’s no need for concern.
If they ate an entire plate of salmon though, you should call your vet.
What Is Salmon Poisoning In Dogs?
Salmon poisoning is a term used to describe the sickness that occurs when dogs eat raw salmon.
Your dog might become very sick after eating the fish, especially if they’ve eaten too much or have eaten an infected part of the fish.
An infection will be difficult to avoid with high-risk meat like salmon, but you can reduce the risk by reducing the amount of salmon your dog eats.
Can A Dog Get Salmon Poisoning Twice?
If your dog gets salmon poisoning once, they might become sick again if you feed them raw salmon again.
Risk factors like being in a wet environment or eating contaminated fish are unlikely to go away with time.
Preventing Salmon Poisoning In Dogs
Salmon is safe to feed your dogs if it’s cooked, as you will have killed any harmful bacteria and parasites that may be present.
It can also help to freeze raw fish for four days before you feed it to give the harmful bacteria time to die off.
You can also vaccinate your dog against salmon poisoning before they eat it, but the best way to protect them is to avoid feeding them raw fish altogether.
When To See A Veterinarian
You’ll want to call your veterinarian about medical advice if you’re not sure what to do.
Your dog’s symptoms will help your vet determine whether or not an appointment is necessary and the severity of treatment needed if any.
Your dog may not have eaten enough raw salmon to cause illness, but it’s important to keep an eye on them for symptoms such as vomiting or diarrhea that could potentially indicate an infection from the bacteria in the raw fish.
If your dog does eat something harmful, contact your vet immediately.
If your dog ate raw salmon and is experiencing any of these symptoms, contact your veterinarian to get medical advice for the best treatment options immediately if necessary.
Treatment Of Salmon Poisoning In Dogs
If you suspect that your dog has eaten raw salmon, keep an eye out for any of these symptoms: Vomiting and diarrhea A fever Skin problems Lethargy, or lack of appetite.
If you notice any of these symptoms, call your veterinarian to find out if you should bring them in for treatment.
If your dog has eaten a large amount of raw salmon or an infected piece of fish, they may need an IV drip and antibiotics administered through the drip. The vet will assess their situation and determine the best course of action.
The bacteria Pseudomonas is commonly found in rivers and lakes, so it’s always a good idea to wash your hands after handling fish if you’re near any freshwater areas.
If you or anyone else has skin rashes on their hands, run them under cold water immediately to remove the bacteria from the skin before washing with soap.
Seek medical help if you develop a rash on your skin, as Pseudomonas can cause severe infections.
How To Prevent Your Dog From Eating It In The First Place
You’ll want to keep your dog out of the kitchen if they’re a curious eater. You can put them in another room or give them a toy to distract them.
If you have any extra salmon, then store it in the fridge or freezer so you don’t have to worry about your pup making off with it.
Remember that dogs do not have an immune system like we do and can get sick very easily.
There are a lot of factors you’ll want to consider while keeping your dog safe from harm.
Raw fish is not something you can just hand over to your dog without worry about them making off with it. If your dog is curious or daring, then try locking up the raw fish so it’s out of their reach.
What If I Feed My Dog Salmon?
You may have noticed that some foods are for humans only, and they aren’t fit for dogs.
Other foods might not be good for your dog to eat, but if they’re hungry enough, they’ll try it anyway.
It’s important to remember that you should never let your dog eat something from the table or off the ground when people are eating.
Raw fish isn’t meant for dogs and can make them very sick. If you think your dog has salmon poisoning, wash their paws to remove any bacteria from their paws and put them in a bath with water and white vinegar.
This should help ease the symptoms of salmon poisoning while waiting for treatment from your vet.
If you have more questions about what to do when your dog eats raw salmon, ask me in the comments.