What To Do If Your Dog Ate A Toad?

As dog owners, we know that they will eat just about anything. 

Sometimes this means they end up eating things that are poisonous or could make them sick. One of the most common problems dog owners face is when their dog eats a toad. 

Toads contain toxins, and these can be harmful to your dog if consumed in large amounts. 

Here are some steps you should take if your dog ate a toad.

Is It Safe For A Dog To Eat A Toad?

picture of a toad

It is not recommended to let a dog eat a frog or toad because they are poisonous. 

Animals that eat them will often vomit and show signs of distress, which can lead to other health problems. 

Though some vets suggest administering syrup of ipecac if the poisoning is reported in time, this treatment won’t do any good if the animal has eaten multiple frogs or toads. 

The best course is prevention: keep your pet away from such creatures altogether!

What Happens When A Dog Eats A Toad?

The toad can release a toxin that is harmful to dogs. 

It’s generally not recommended to give your dog raw frogs, lizards, or other amphibians.

If you must feed them something like this, stick with cooked vegetables (spinach and broccoli work well). 

They cannot form enough of the appropriate defensive amino acids in their intestinal linings which makes it easy for bacteria to enter into their bloodstreams and cause serious systemic infections such as sepsis (think blood poisoning). 

If you do plan on feeding your pup food in this category, make sure it’s either chopped or cooked into dog-friendly pieces.

My Dog Ate A Toad – What To Do Now?

dog looking at a toad wanting to eat it

The toad is poisonous, so it’s important to monitor the dog closely and seek immediate veterinary care in order to treat any symptoms of poisoning.

If you know your pet has eaten the amphibian or picked up fluids from a contaminated ground (e.g., via the mouth), it’s important to bring them straight away for an examination and urgent supportive treatment from a veterinary surgeon – even if they don’t act sick. 

Amphibians often use their mouths to catch prey, so raptors might swallow these animals whole. 

This means some amphibians are now known for causing ulcers and liver failure in domestic pets such as cats, dogs, and ferrets! 

Avoidance remains the best policy but if there are signs of the dog being sick, it is important to get them checked out right away.

One thing that can be done in administering syrup of ipecac immediately after ingestion has occurred and before vomiting occurs, which may limit toxin absorption and reduce signs of poisoning (though this will not help once the animal has already vomited).

What Is Toad Poisoning In Dogs?

Toad poisoning is a toxic condition that can occur when a dog eats toads or the slime from a toad.

Dogs should never be allowed to chase, catch, eat, drink from puddles near water where there are or have been soggy-looking toads. 

Toad poisoning in dogs is a serious medical emergency and often requires immediate veterinary attention.

Poisoning due to ingestion of toads produces potent parasympathomimetic alkaloids (toad toxins) such as the infamous bufotenin, 5-MeO-DMT, or DMT. 

With ingested poisons like this, there will be abnormal excitatory effects which can include seizures.

If you suspect your dog has eaten one of these frogs go to the vet right away and don’t wait for symptoms to get worse!

What Are The Symptoms Of Toad Poisoning In Dogs?

Symptoms identified from various sites include increased heart rate, excessive drooling, and difficulty breathing – and not being able to stand up properly. 

In addition, your dog may experience redness around its mouth or eyes, vomiting, and diarrhea. 

If untreated for long periods of time though, death can soon follow as the animal’s kidneys start shutting down too. 

How Long Does It Take For A Dog To Show Symptoms Of Toad Poisoning?

Symptoms of toad poisoning emerge gradually as the toxin is absorbed and begins to move through the body following exposure.

Animals are commonly seen showing symptoms after they have been exposed for 5-10 minutes (red blotches in the face, mucous membranes swollen and bright red) or up to a few hours (severely depleted blood sugar, excessive saliva production).

Some dogs might even show no symptoms until 1-3 days later because their liver enzymes break down the toxin into smaller pieces that can circulate in their bloodstream for weeks before it reaches tissues. 

After about 3 days, liver failure can occur. Vomiting or nausea may be more severe than how you see your dog normally respond when given food after contact with toxins.

How Is Toad Poisoning Diagnosed In Dogs?

In cases involving toad poisoning, it depends on what type of poison the veterinarian suspects. 

If the vet thinks it is a certain type of neurotoxin then they might suspect that there’s an issue with nerves not functioning properly and/or causing irregular heart rates. 

Luckily though, there are typically medications specific for these symptoms to help treat them which will hopefully make up for any deficiencies in natural body processes which might have been impaired by being poisoned by a toad. 

It can also depend on how quickly after getting poisoned they were brought in but often times when considering out-of-the-ordinary clinical signs (i.e., an irregular heart rate) or if the dog starts showing the decreased level of consciousness even though many other things could be causing this too, a dog can be diagnosed with toad poisoning.

How Is Toad Poisoning Treated In Dogs?

Treatment involves many different things depending on the severity of what’s going on and how quickly an owner gets their dog in for treatment. 

Most cases involve inducing vomiting or passing water into the mouth (hydrotherapy) to try and flush out the toxins. 

Other treatments include intravenous fluids, activated charcoal (to absorb any possible toxin), medications for irregular heart rate, coma-inducing drugs if necessary, or injections of certain anti-neurotoxins like pyridostigmine bromide which can also help to counteract some chemicals in your dog’s body that might have been overstimulated by the toad poisoning.

Does The Dog Have To Swallow The Toad In Order For It To Be Poisoned?

No, it’s not necessary that your dog swallow the toad in order for it to be poisoned. The dog can just lick or touch a frog and they’ll still get sick from it.

How To Prevent A Dog From Eating Toads?

I am no expert in this, but I would advise that you remove toads from the grounds if possible. 

Otherwise, you could use humane live traps. The traps should be placed outside the property where the dog will not go near them because they are able to eat an animal inside and then release it outside unharmed. 

You can also try chicken wire or something similar with holes too small for a dog to get through on top of your fence as another option for less hassle.

Poisonous Species Of Toads

There are tons of poisonous species of toads, but here are some good ones:

  • Papilla bufonis. This guy has an extremely potent venom as well as a plethora of nasty organic compounds which will kill you quickly. Though it’s unlikely that humans would be able to identify it because they usually reside in the tropics and swamps where it can get pretty hot (breeding ground for mosquitos).
  • Cane Toads. These guys digest anything they come across so their poison is often lethal. They tend to slow your heart rate until death takes over; around 24 hours later or so give or take depending on how many toxins they put into you.


If you have a pet that has eaten something it shouldn’t, the important thing is to act quickly. 

The sooner you can get your animal professional help, the better chance they have of avoiding any long-lasting health consequences or death. 

So if this sounds like your situation and you need some more advice about what to do next, please leave a comment below with your questions! 

I will be happy to provide an answer as soon as possible.

Related Posts

Leave a Comment